Tuesday, December 29, 2015

More Rescans

I've been rescanning some old GDB entries, and I'm happy to say that the results have been well worth the effort. 

Look at this one, from... oh I don't know, a long time ago. Let's say eight years. The slide (from July 12, 1958) had turned an unpleasant magenta, and this early attempt at restoration is pretty bad. 


What a difference! I don't know what to say about it that you can't see with your own eyebones. Though I will mention that Columbia made its debut only a month before this photo was taken.


I have a special fondness for the old saguaro forest from the pre-Nature's Wonderland Mine Train attraction. And it doesn't show up in a lot of photos, so even this poorly-restored version is better than nothing.


However, this iteration is an improvement in pretty much every way!


8 comments:

Nanook said...

Major-

You're turning into quite the "colorist". Both images are quite lovely.

Thanks, Major.

Chuck said...

Agreed. Thanks, Major!

K. Martinez said...

I like both versions for different reasons. The older scans have a certain patina if that's the correct word to use. I like that. The newer scans are a technical improvement and the color stands out really well. A big plus. I like the "before and after" format you used in today's post. Thanks, Major.

Major Pepperidge said...

Nanook, it's nice to know that I have learned a thing or two after 10 years of Photoshopping!

Chuck, thanks!

K. Martinez, I know what you mean, the old scans look like they have had Instagram filters applied. But compared to the new ones I think they look kind of bad...

Anonymous said...

That's a rare view of the cactus forest, very cool.

This area will probably be part of Tatooine when we see it next.

This is a fun notion, Major. Thank you.

JG

K. Martinez said...

Major, It's like going from VHS to DVD to Blu-ray HDTV. You don't know what you missing until you try it.

TokyoMagic! said...

I wonder how it was decided whether or not the Columbia's sails would be furled or unfurled. I just always thought that the sails were always down in those early years.....sort of like Captain Hook's Pirate Ship in Fantasyland. Obviously, that wasn't the case!

Nice job of rescanning, Major!

Unknown said...

Attendance on this day, a Saturday which included a Date Nite, the attendance was an impressive 32,697 with a daytime high temperature of 81. Independence Day -- eight days earlier -- saw an attendance of 45,592.

Source: Jason's Disneyland Almanac