Monday, August 11, 2014

More Storybook Land Snapshots! August 1968

It's time to finish up the remaining snapshots of Storybook Land! See part one HERE.

This first one is kind of a mystery to me… I would say that it looks like it is from Alice in Wonderland, but perhaps it is one of the Three Pigs' homes. I love the detail of the thatched roof, the half-timbered façade, and the little flagstone path.


At the base of Cinderella's Castle is the charming French village where Cinderella lived with her wicked stepmother and stepsisters. Some of them are pretty fancy!


You pass Toad Hall twice on your journey around the canal.. in this case we look past it toward Casey Jr. and the little ticket booth for that attraction. Skyway bucket alert!


The Romans knew a little something about the advantages of the arch. Functional, strong, and good looking. While this structure looks like an ancient aqueduct, it is actually a bridge for Casey Jr.


Windmills are one of the coolest ideas ever thought up by folks in ye olden days. First of all, they look neat. And they can pump water or grind grain, with the wind doing most of the work. Isn't it amazing that we still use windmills today, only ours generate electricity! They are also extremely important in the trillion-dollar miniature golf industry.


And finally, just before we end our journey, we pass Geppetto's Village - possibly my favorite part of Storybook Land. I love the medieval-style architecture, and the snow-capped peaks. Plus, "Pinocchio" is my favorite Disney animated feature.


I hope you have enjoyed your visit to Storybook Land!

9 comments:

Nanook said...

Major-

That first cottage is the home to the Seven Dwarfs.

All the structures of Storybook Land never fail to please - the detail, the charm, the miniature landscaping, etc.

Thanks, Major.

Chuck said...

As a kid, the house in Storybook Gardens I most wanted to visit was the Seven Dwarfs' cottage. Now that there's a magic lamp in the previous scene, I wonder if I can reach it to get my wish...

Melissa said...

Toad Hall is really magnificent. Reminds me of the WDW Haunted Mansion design.

K. Martinez said...

The bridge image is great. No evidence of storybook structures. Just canal and bridge in the countryside. Nice. Thanks, Major.

Chuck said...

Looking at the bridge again brings two words to mind: no handrails.

Major Pepperidge said...

Nanook, yes, now that you say it, of course it is the Dwarf's cottage! I feel so silly.

Chuck, I think I wanted to be in Geppetto's Village, but they are all great.

Melissa, I never thought about it, but you're right! It definitely bears a family resemblance.

K. Martinez, see? You are a "glass half full" person. I thought it wasn't a good photo because it DIDN'T show the Storybook Land structures.

Chuck, those Romans invented a lot of things, but not handrails.

JG said...

That bridge looks to me like it's modeled on some British railroad bridges, which in turn, were modeled on Roman aqueducts.

Roman-type aqueducts were sometimes used as clandestine routes to sneak soldiers into walled cities, walking in the watercourse past the guards, gates and walls.

Major, I always love old pics of Storybook land, thank you.

JG

Major Pepperidge said...

JG, I have a photo that I think is from Europe showing a steam locomotive crossing a surprisingly high arched bridge. If I can find it I'll send you a jpeg!

JG said...

Thanks for the pic, Major. That's a very tall bridge, the water would be troubled indeed if that train fell off.

JG