Sunday, October 31, 2010

Frontierland in Black & White, 1956

Here are a couple of nice black and white photos for you today! Starting with this nice shot of the Bertha Mae Keelboat scooting by. You can sit on top of for a better view, or down below where there are comfy cushions on the seats and cover from flying Indian arrows. A canoe is also passing; since the canoes only operate on busy (mostly summer) days, it is surprising to see everyone wearing a coat. Even the guides have eschewed their Indian garb. That's right, I said eschewed! Boxes and crates are piled on the dock for the rafts on Tom Sawyer Island, presumably because the Island has not opened for fun yet.


Well well, seems the Bertha Mae was heading for home. To the extreme left you can just see the tunnel for the train, and to the right of that, basically obscured, is the pedestrian tunnel to the Indian Village.

11 comments:

Chiana_Chat said...

...and I finally notice that the Keel Boats look right at home with the early, seedy Fowler's Harbor, now that I see them docking there. There's another sleeveless guy going into the shack on the side of Fowler's too; what's with the people and place there, my gosh.

I have eschewed my jacket, and my shirt. But not to panic I still have my Goofy longjohns.

Connie Moreno said...

These are pretty darn cool photos, especially when enlarged.

Thufer said...

Those are; just amazing pictures.

Anonymous said...

:chuckling: perfect Halloween look on the Indiana Village link.
Trick or Treat!

Orange Co Native said...

It is unfortunate that the keelboats at Disneyland are no more. A couple of knuckle heads decided to rock the boat in 1997 I believe causing it to capsize. Now kids do not have the pleasure to ride on keelboats anymore.

Chuck said...

Lots of people eschewing today. Gesundheit!

Major Pepperidge said...

Eschew! I'm glad you guys liked these today... sometimes I feel like black and white might seem like lesser photos.

Debbie, you are right, although that was unintentional.

O.C. Native, I agree....

Chuck, thank you!

Thufer, thanks as well!

Connie, I hope you always look at the photos in their bigger form, that's the best way.

Chiana, you always see details that I've missed!

Nancy said...

these are beautiful. i love black and white photography :)

Major Pepperidge said...

Thank you Nancy! ;-)

Donnie said...

I love the keel boats. Great photos!

Anonymous said...

Always a pleasure Major, great photos, never be shy about B&W.

JG