Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Lion Country Safari, April 1972

Today let's go on a little detour. We'll head on over to Irvine to visit Lion Country Safari! I went there at least once... I mostly remember the novelty of riding our car alongside all sorts of animals. Giraffes, zebras, ostriches, various kinds of antelope, lions, hippos, and a few woozles. I was very disappointed that a lion didn't climb on our hood or anything cool like that!

I wish I had more information for you about this entertainment area... maybe you could go see Robert Goulet singing "Born Free". The sign is surrounded by all kinds of authentic looking African totems, fetishes, and knickknacks. Might as well stop and buy a hot pretzel to really get that African feeling.


At Disneyland, you could ride a crummy old mule. You couldn't ride a lion at Lion Country Safari, but you could ride a genuine elephant! I did, and can still rememeber how it felt to be up there (it seemed higher from the elephant's back!). They sure didn't go overboard with scenery to look at, did they?

4 comments:

TokyoMagic! said...

This is one of the few So Cal parks that I always wanted to see, but never got a chance to visit. I remember the commercials showing the animals ontop of the cars though!

There was a "Simpson's" episode years ago where they visit Discount Lion Safari.

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Classic shots, I remember that entrance sign! I was always disappointed too that the animals never went crazy!

Robert Goulet singing "Born Free" - that might cause a stampede!

Major Pepperidge said...

Ha, that "Simpson's" idea is pretty funny (but boy, has that show gotten stale lately or what?)!

For those of you who never visited LCS, don't feel too bad... I don't remember dying to go back over and over, unlike DL and Knott's...!

Nancy said...

how cool to have ridden an elephant! that isnt something that a whole lot of ppl have a story about

we have a park somewhere near here like this, called Living Treasures Animal Park...ill have to find out if i can ride an elephant there ;D