Saturday, March 17, 2007

Where is it?

Here's a slide that has puzzled me for a while. I'm pretty sure that we are looking at a Southern California location. That "faux oriental" architecture is pretty distinctive, does it look familiar to anybody? I thought it might be the Indio Date Festival, but can't find any photos showing those minarets and domes in the background. I also have two other slides from what appears to be a county fair (pony rides, and miniature train), and you can see similar architecture in the distance. Any help identifying this place would be appreciated!


Man, I have a lot of photos of the Chicken of the Sea pirate ship. It I had a nickel for every photo of that thing, well I'll bet I'd have 6 or 7 bucks. Anyway, I thought I'd post another one and do it on the weekend so that nobody will yell at me and make me cry.

3 comments:

Matterhorn1959 said...

Major- your first thoughts on the first photo is correct, it is the Indio Date Festival. Check out the modern image at this website: http://losangeles.about.com/od/eventsgreaterlaarea/ss/datefest_3.htm and you will see the same building at night. Since the Festival happens on a fairgrounds, there are other carnival type rides.

Major Pepperidge said...

Wow, thanks Matterhorn! That is definitely the same place. I'll have to find those other images and see if they also match up.

Anonymous said...

Yep, it's the Date Festival. Sure would like to have a date shake about now!