Sunday, July 30, 2006

Flying Saucers, August 1961


Here's an attraction that I wish I had been able to experience at least once. From all accounts, it wasn't so easy to maneuver, sliding around on a giant air-hockey table. I don't even particularly like bumper cars, and this was basically a cool looking version of those.

This photo was taken shortly after opening (it opened on August 6, 1961)...there isn't much of a line for a summer day. I think we can see the spanish tile roof of the administration building to the right (the old Dominguez home). The pylon with the name of the attraction is also pretty neat, resembling the one for the Submarine Voyage. It could double as a cell phone tower today!

2 comments:

Matterhorn1959 said...

That was not a very futuristic view behind the ride. Another great image!

Gary Green said...

I wish I had experienced that ride as well. My mother and older brother remember it was a lot of fun, but that it was constantly breaking down. I beleive that's one of the reasons that led to its demise, as it was not around all that long. Love your site and read it every day!